For many years - from the first half of the 19th century in fact - the round oak inn on the corner of Dudley Street had been a thriving tavern. It had a well-used quoits green behind it and was the headquarters of several local societies including the Harts Hill & District Cycling Club.
Over the years the pub fell into disrepair and the original building was demolished and a new pub was built on the site. This opened in the 1939 and again proved very popular.
The building was turned into flats but as an enterprise this too failed and the building was then left empty (apart from the vandals) for many years. It was offered for sale and it was widely expected to be demolished.
Today the old building has been completely refurbished and its home to the Round Oak Interiors. It’s now superbly equipped showroom displaying items from a wide range of well-known manufactures.